"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kisses all around

Ingrid Michaelson's new single, Maybe
Photobucket
It is good. It is really good. I met her last year, and she is wonderful. I think her concert was one of the most breathtaking musical moments of my life. You know that musician that you were the first person to introduce your friends to her, and all of a sudden they become famous and everybody knows and loves them? Well, Ingrid Michaelson was mine. Her music answers a lot of my questions. I won't go as far to say that I make life-changing decisions based on her lyrics; but I will say that it helps to not feel alone. Makes and breaks certain moods. Her contribution to my own life through music has made me a better person, I think.

Photobucket
And then she reminds me of my friends. The ones who I have been walking through life for a decade, or on and off a few years, or even less than a year. Time is inconsequential, I think. Had breakfast this morning with Lauren. She is a gem. And absolute beautiful creature of this world. She is strong and gracious. She is quick to laugh and to give. A lot of reconciliation is going on in her life and I am proud to call her my friend. And in just a few moments I am going laptop shopping with Natalie and Christopher. They have been a couple for a long time. And they are both college graduates. Natalie is my mama. She is organized and resourceful. Probably the most resourceful person I know. She tells it like it is. Even the hard stuff. She is beautiful, even when she says things I don't want to hear, I know that there is a love that binds us, and so I accept it. Christopher is my male counterpart. I swear we are the same person with different genitalia. He is always willing to talk things out. Willing to be goofy, and then serious in the same day. Willing to trust and is very trustworthy. He is really funny. And he is also very wise.
Photobucket

These friends (and obviously I have more, whom I adore very much) and Ingrid Michaelson (need I say that I also have other artists who do this, but for the purpose of tying things together...) all have to do with love and connection. We are all connected. We all have stories and relationships. We all need one another. And that is why, although shit gets rough and tangled, we are all here and need each other.

So give the person you love a kiss.
That's what I have been doing and it seems to be working. At least most of the time. :)

No comments:

Followers