"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Friday, June 5, 2009

class of 2009: awe

Just returned from Grossmont High School's graduation, and my friend Charlotte's grad party. The graduation itself was nice and short. They mentioned our friend who died this past year. The salutatorians speech was clever and also short. Almost everyone of my "kiddos" received awards. And even to the ones who didn't: I am proud of ALL of you!
They have worked so hard all these years.

I cried a little.

Charlotte gave me (well, I payed for it) their class' book of artwork, poetry, prose and pictures. It is called, "Obra: Revelations" and when I got home, a few moments ago, I poured over the pages in awe. They are so talented, all of them.

I read poems and saw pictures that I have seen before, as well as new ones. The content is rich and mature. It is empowering and deliberate. I am impressed. Secretly I was glad that I got in this booklet as well (a picture I took, shadows of me, and a poem's verse that refers to me and my friends).

But it is less of the individual and more about the community of students, my friends, who compiled this work. I am not looking forward to watching them grow up. Although in some cases I already have. We are a community.

Class of '09, I applaud you! I am proud of you. Always look forward in hope and remember your accomplishments with humility. I love you all! :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Followers