"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Thursday, August 27, 2009

what is?

What is Jewish?

I have had a first day taste of my classes for this Fall semester. I feel I have been so busy. Wandering around the city by muni and going to classes through the chaos of the first week of school.

I have made friends too, yay. Lea is one. She is a fellow Messianic Jew and we have really connected. The City Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ) crowd (that is a mouthful). One of the five Jewish Studies students, Aaron. Some Hillel folk. Three guys down the hall from my apartment. My roommates and I have really bonded over the last week and the Professor of two of my Jewish classes who happens to be the Chair of the Jewish Studies department as well. I have been catching up with two of my teachers from my Junior College.

So what is Jewish?

I stumbled upon some very dear friends handing out Jews for Jesus tracts. Coincidentally my Prof mentioned it in his opening lecture of my Intro to Jewish Studies class. The book I am reading for it is fascinating. It expounds upon the idea that Judaism is, basically, divided into an Orthodox religion and purely cultural experiences. The G-d whom is depicted is terrifying and misleading. I wouldn't follow that G-d.

I have an idea of what I know as Jewish and what I think Jewish should be. I have working hard with my heart and mind and G-d to not predetermine what other people think, say my fellow classmates and Professors. I pray that I would be sensitive with the conversations that are unavoidable and encouraged when I seem to be proven wrong (I know myself, this is unavoidable).

So what is Jewish? I appreciated reading that Judaism, and I paraphrase, is living in covenant with G-d sacrificially, often and passionately. As well as adhering to the "sacred word" and "sacred action" which the Torah, given by G-d, by the hand of Moses, commands. While it also may mean strict guidelines that are physically shown (circumcision and Kashrut) and a bloodline from Abraham to Moses on, I have a strong conviction that it is being Messianic-minded. After all, there is a strong hope in this religion and culture. And hope means life, and how perfect is it that the most brilliant life ever lived was a Jew? My heart is at peace. I know when I get into these conversations of defense for my faith, I will have ground for what I believe as truth.

I hope my views fly, because they are here to stay.

oy vey.



No comments:

Followers