"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Saturday, January 9, 2010

first love

My favorite song by Bob Dylan is:

Girl From the North Country

It's on the "Freewheelin" album. I'll never forget the first time I heard this tune. I might have cried a little. I felt honey in my tears. "in the darkness of my night, in the brightness of my day." It haunted me. The sound is raw and honest and fragrant and lovely and real and soft. When it ends, I wish that it hadn't, so I keep it on repeat. That song is number 4 on my CD and number 4 skips. My dream is to hear it on vinyl. I am having a love affair with this song. "for that's the way I remember her best."

The first time I fell in love was when I was 12 years old.

We were standing in the Synagogue courtyard. It was springtime.

That first love brings butterflies to my heart. Waiting, thereafter, to see when he would show up. The eagerness to help clean and participate because that was when he would notice me. One mention that my hair smelled (and I quote) "really pretty" still has me hooked on Herbal Essence shampoo. As we grew older, our interactions were less often, but nonetheless meaningful to me. He understood me. We would (and still do sometimes) finish each others sentences. People used to tease me about it, because unbeknown to me, everyone knew I loved him.

Bob Dylan may have written better music, and there might be someone better for me yet- but my first loves will always have a special place in my heart.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is a beautiful post, Queeny. :)

Now I have to go listen that song, huh?

Followers