"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Friday, May 22, 2009

A Psalm in a day

This morning at Starbucks, Kim lead a discussion for college group about Jesus being "the Good Shepard." We wrote our own psalms, based on Psalm 23 as an outline ...

"The Lord is my Shepard, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul [...] even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me [...] Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of Lord forever" (Psalm 23:1-3a, 4a, 6)

Now, This is what I came up with. My hope is that I will read this in twenty years and feel the same way. Especially the latter:

G-d, You are my friend, You are a long and good sleep
I will never be without companionship,
because Your peace is in my photo albums, a cup of hot chocolate and a cigarette,
You are in my childhood sanctuary and the beaches in Santa Barbara,
When I cling to you after a big sin, a big fall,
You put old and new friend's words and hugs in my path,
Even when I think that I am not smart enough, or thin enough...when I get sad,
Hey! You stand beside me, whispering "loved" into my soul,
You are that strong wind in the Negev desert,
and You are the perfect cup of tea when I am cold,
and my caffeine when I need to stay awake,
You hold my hand amidst my depressive state,
that is my evil vice,
yet everyone can see that I am taken,
I have no more need for physical company from man,
because my love is taken,
I want to keep this place, this conversation around me, in my soul, forever...

I was with some of my new, lovely friends tonight at our little Starbucks, procrastinating (of course) and we all got into the car. I was going to take them to my Church, which is right across the street to show them around the building. I made a left turn, and a car went right through their red light (towards us). I swerved to avoid an accident. It was terrifying. But I am more thankful for life, than I am afraid of death. And I believe the Psalm I wrote this morning readied me for this realization.

Amen for life and recognition of breathe and good community and goodnight, to wake in the morning and appreciate all the beauty there is to have.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

You are truly an amazing writer. Love your inspired Ps 23 (one of my fav).. also cant believe you were also on the verge of another accident.. at least we know who our shepherd is: one who guides and protects!

Followers