"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Israel and Coffee...what now?

My friends are in Israel.
I was in Israel just a year ago. A YEAR ago!!?

While spending much of my time in Tel Aviv, I became attached to a coffee shop called CITY coffee.
It appears to be small when you first walk in, but further into the rear, it opens up to a larger lounge space. I spent alone time there, evangelistic conversations with strangers, prayer with friends, and gosh darn good ice coffee. I was so addicted to it. There was one point near the end of my stay when I would walk down the Florentin district twice a day to get that ice coffee.
Nothing like it in the states.

Photobucket
...This is my beloved friend, Sarah sitting in CITY Coffee...

My friend, whom I love (in Tel Aviv) sent me a note via facebook and said,
"Was thinking of you, while sitting at CITY coffee in Florentine.
It misses you. It told me.
Love you SO much."


I am not going to lie, I teared up at reading this. I want to be back in my land, with the people I love most in the world, and newer friends whom I adore, walking busy streets in the middle of the night, and bartering in shook haCarmel. I want to be hiking (yes, hiking!) Mt. Meron and listening to a scholar in a Moshav in Jerusalem. I want to be in Israel.

But I know that I am not meant to be there in this season of life.
I have a feeling that my purpose, right now, is to build a better character within myself. And I am aware that traveling and trying to recreate something that is no longer foreign to me, is not the best place. I am peace.

I am okay with sharing glasses of wine and cigarettes with friends. I am okay with traveling throughout the U.S. and volunteering for VBS (vacation Bible school). I am okay with texting Lauren random insignificance's that make our friendship beautiful. I am okay mourning part of my spirit that I let go, and letting my King renew it in me. I am okay with reading a blog of my people in Israel.

Yes, I want to be in Israel. But no, I cannot be there. And yes, I know that I will be called back to that place of ancient war and love. Yes, I will be back someday. Hopefully City Coffee will still be there...

No comments:

Followers