"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gd-group

Recently, my love and some friends and I started something. We started something that might get bigger. It's big to us.

It's unofficially called Gd-group.

And not all of us even believe in Gd. We are young people who believe in spirituality. Some of us are angry. Some of us are hurt. All of us are curious. All of us are pretty smart. All of us are beautiful and deep man and women. (Only one dude so far...)

Last night we read a poem. And we talked about heaven and hell. Actually, and more specifically, we talked about death. What we believe and why. It was powerful. And it was significant. One of us was raised with metaphysical beliefs and Judaism. Most of us were raised with an Evangelical background. Some of us still go to Church, others of us have denounced their Christian faith. We have a set of rules too. No side-conversations. Definition of terms, ie: predestination. We have to share our stories. And we ask for vulnerability. It's a safe place. We don't want it to look like a stereotypical Bible study, but we do want to encourage debate and discourse.

I love this group. Sometimes I say dumb stuff. But again, it's a place that is safe. So when i say dumb stuff (ex: matrix comment...I have never seen this movie, and it had nothing to do with our conversation) people still walk away with smiles and love toward me. It's nice.

It's the first real thing that I have helped start. It's the first real thing that I feel good about. It's the first real thing that I feel safe exploring. We're big kids now.

PS: Update as I venture through the second to last week of my undergraduate career: losing sleep over rethinking my thesis. losing patience for the 7 people living in my house. losing hope that i can actually finish this semester with a decent grade point average. gaining friends who see the real me and who love it still.

No comments:

Followers