"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Thursday, June 9, 2011

rabbinate

"I believe in worship"

A woman sat next to me in her yoga attire at a quant cafe near both our houses. She is older than I am, with grey, shoulder length hair and round speckled glasses. A Jewish woman, a poet, a resource- wealth of knowledge and spirit. She asked me questions yesterday about my life. What I studied, where I want to go and what I want to do, who I am. I was slightly nervous because she sat there, comfortable and successful; accomplished and secure. I sat there with my security shall wrapped around me, slurping hot chocolate; trying to appear that I had not spent the last two.five weeks in crisis. I said that I was torn between the pursuit of therapy (as a vocation) or scholarship. She asked me if I had ever considered the Rabbinate. I said yes. But the truth is no. It would be a combination of those two things. And I think I would flourish, because I, like her, believe in worship.



a thought arose like a high watered bay.
it provoked every inch of security.
the cold shriveled her hands and the sound deafed her ears.
while all was weeping silently.
her expression silently teared.

No comments:

Followers