"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Monday, April 27, 2009

memior

In my creative non-fiction class tonight we took some time to write sentences of memoir.
Our example was Ernest Hemingway's "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn."
We had one rule- only six words allowed.
Here it goes:

What if I was a worm?
See the smile on her face?
I get tattoos on a whim.
What if I'd never used drugs?
What if I jumped off the bridge?
Adulthood is harder than I imagined.
PhD bound to please my father.
I like tall AND short boys.
Was I supposed to be white?
For Rent: the Queen's blue diary.
ie: woman in corner needs help.
Extra Extra: Jewish woman inks body!
Slow to heal; quick to want.
Too scared to finish what's started.
When I die, I want company.
Ready to give what's not mine.
Tasted the apple- not going back.
I'm defined by my freckle count.
I am not who he says.
I shared my secret to everyone.
She said I am an oxymoron.
Where have all the men gone?
No more men; I'll find woman.
I eat tuna, smiling all day.
I eat curry, then I weep.
OCD is Overrated; Bipolar is Badass.
mother is shrink, she is shorter.
Honesty is easy in six words.

Try it, really! There is freedom to discover your meaningful life can be defined so simply.

No comments:

Followers