"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Sunday, May 13, 2012

another mad man

I'm currently listening to a song. It's called Sally's Story and it's rather obscure. A haunting Scottish tune. It makes you want to cry and laugh and be in love and be alone. It's from Mad Men, Season 3, Episode 1. It took some major stalking skills to find it.

I'm thinking about faith. I'm in one of those moments when you realize that you've led a life dreaming and speaking and maybe believing too, but you feel alone and dissatisfied. What does it mean to fall in love with someone who speaks your language, but does not believe in angels? What does it mean to work a job that is thankless. What does worship mean if it's not with people who know you, or to a Gd without a name? What does it mean to feel as if something powerful has bruised you, and you simultaneously believe that you actually deserved it.

Do you believe who/what Gd says you are?

I've heard this phrase a lot over the last few weeks. I've heard it in movies, books, blogs, status updates, and conversations. Is that not the question? I say that I am a quitter. But Gd says that I am safe. I say I am lost. But Gd says that I am found. I say that I am stupid. But Gd says that I am capable. I say that I am inadequate. Gd says I am better than that. I say I am doing pretty good as a young adult. Gd says that I actually need guidance. I say that I am okay living as a 'spiritual' person. Gd says that I need discipline. I say that I am homeless. But Gd says that home never left.

I could go on...

The song is over. But the conversation of this little girl in the big world, and the bigger story, is not finished.
breath, breath, breath.

"I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am. I am. I am." -Sylvia Plath

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Reading this took almost exactly the length of the song. And it was a crazy good soundtrack that obviously matched the mood of this post.

It was great. Short but sweet. I wonder what it would be like to be you, to look back to two years in the past and think about that person who wrote this, and marvel at how things change, and how things stay the same.

Followers