"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Saturday, October 15, 2011

I heart Oakland

The most difficult decision I made as a post-graduate was to move out of San Francisco.

San Francisco.
A city that is culturally and economically diverse. 7 by 7 miles long and wide, the buses never sleep nor do the locals tire of telling tourists how to get around. From bros in the Marina, to Lesbians in Bernal Heights, hipsters and latino families living harmoniously in the Mission district and white middle class students living wall to wall with a huge Asian population, the city is phenomenal. Some things are not so phenomenal, such as Powell street shopping and tenderloin poverty existing only blocks away from each other. Or the mass exodus of transient youth who romanticize Haight St. and sell their lives to the drug world. Then you have the food. Always ten different ethnic foods within ten minutes walking distance from your house. AND, of course, the politics. The nudists. The history, etc...

And I decided to leave it all behind.

Okay, I know I'm being slightly over dramatic. I moved fifteen miles away. But Oakland is a far cry from the city I love.

Yet, Oakland has charm that cannot compare with SF. You could spend time in berkeley, only to be bombarded with Cal students and beautiful streets and old buildings, or you could hang out in Emeryville (which isn't a real place). But Oakland is special. The people live and work and walk and bike and hold block parties and play latin music for the entire neighborhood to enjoy. The weather is divine- never too hot, never too cold. And, this is personal, I get to live five or so blocks from my love. I never get bored of driving to temescal to eat something great. I haven't tired yet of my bart station excitement (until it happened to us- $260 ticket = boo!). Also, gang members can be quite friendly too!

I look forward to this love affair with the east bay to grow, develop and produce adventures and affinity.

No comments:

Followers