"For a moment, she re-discovered the purpose of her life. She was here in earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and call each thing by its right name.” -Boris Pasternak

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

change. faith. working out.

The real world got the better of me this summer.

I wish John Mayer hadn't written that song about running through HS doors and shouting at the top of his lungs that the real world is a figment of our imagination persuaded by the authorities. It's not totally true.

I've spent a good two months worrying about where I was going to spend this next year.

What about India? Israel? Northridge? San Francisco? San Francisco. Oakland? Oakland.

It's happening and it's happening fast. I found a fabulous living situation, by grace. The commute will be boring. But maybe I can make it a meditation. I was convinced for a solid two weeks that it wouldn't work out. I would have to leave my friends and my favorite city in the world because I had nothing. But it worked out. It's working out. And it's weird. Some people will say that it's just how the universe works. Things work out. Karma or something. My faith has changed. It's become something that it didn't use to be. I rest in the idea that Gd was behind it "working" for the best. And so I thank that Gd.

May I learn to be engaged with my elementary students.

May I be compassionate for my volunteer work with homeless youth.

May I be more patient with my love.

May I listen and communicate with my new roommates.

May I learn about myself better.

This next year is working out. And I like how it's looking...And may the people around me learn the same things: engagement, compassion, patience, communication and lending an ear. And may they love themselves as we are the beloved.

PS: I read Henri Nouwen's Life of the Beloved and it changed my life.
PPS: I stopped eating as much bread as I use to eat. Oh hello lettuce wraps!

No comments:

Followers